by Mike Roberts, Church Historian
The Universalist Church in Newtown, now the offices of Motz Enterprises. It was opened in 1853.
Our home from about 1970 to 1982 at Salem Acres off Salem Road.
The Essex Street Church which was opened in 1898 and our home until about 1970. It is now occupied by The House of God, Inc. It is located at the corner of William Howard Taft and Essex.
The Delphi Universalist Church Cemetery in Delhi Township. This cemetery is now a part of the New St. Joseph’s Cemetery off of Foley Road. There are about 30 grave sites here but most of the headstones are now imbedded in the ground and the inscriptions are fast disappearing. There was a Universalist Church here from 1838 to 1872. George Rogers, the second pastor of our church, is buried here.
The Crosley plot in Spring Grove Cemetery. Powel Crosley Sr. and his namesake son are interred here and their families were members of our church. Powel Sr. served as the clerk and later President of the Board of Trustees and also gave legal council to the church. His brother, Marion, was a Universalist minister. Powel Jr. was the founder of WLW and longtime owner of the Cincinnati Reds. Three of our ministers are buried in Spring Grove Cemetery—John Gurley, Isaac Williamson and Anthony Beresford.
The Universalist Church in Montgomery. This church was headed for destruction but was saved by a group set on preserving the past. It is now owned and operated by the City of Montgomery and is a centerpiece of their downtown historic tour. The church is available for weddings, meetings, receptions or any other small group functions and is furnished with original furnishings from the church.
A simple statement on the facade on the Montgomery Church that sums up the state of Universalist religion in 1837.
All images courtesy of Mike Roberts.