Mission and purpose
The purpose of the Heritage UU Church Worship Committee is to ensure regular high quality worship experiences for congregants and visitors. To accomplish this end the committee assumes several responsibilities. The Committee:
- Serves as a forum for considering and discussing issues of worship;
- Advocates for the needs for worship within the church community;
- Assists the Minister and other professional staff as asked in preparing and presenting worshipful services;
- Mentors lay members in preparing and presenting worshipful services.
Composition of committee
The Worship Committee consists of no more than 7 members plus the minister (ex officio) and Board Liaison (ex officio). (Total of 9 if all present.) One of the members serves as committee chair.
Selection of members
- Members of HUUC are eligible for membership on the Worship Committee.
- Any potential new member is subject to the approval of the committee and the minister.
- The Committee strives to maintain a balance of men and women in its membership.
- The Chair is normally chosen from within the committee in consultation with the minister and the outgoing Chair.
Term of office
- Members are asked to serve for a minimum of one year.
- Members are asked to serve for a maximum of 3 years, unless there are no interested volunteers to take their place, so that committee seats can be open to all interested volunteers.
Expectations of committee members
- Expected to attend at least 9 meetings in any 12 month period.
- Encouraged to attend worship services regularly.
- Encouraged, but not required, to serve as worship associate on a regular basis.
- Asked to be team players and to put the needs of the group and the needs of HUUC above personal agendas.
- Expected to keep discussions confidential, especially when they concern specific individuals, because the Worship Committee often deals with sensitive issues.
- Willing to affirm and abide by the Worship Committee Covenant.
General responsibilities of Worship Committee members
Because the Worship Committee’s focus is on regular worship services, the role of each committee member is very similar.
- Each member participates in the development of the worship schedule at the monthly meeting.
- Each member who chooses to serve as a Worship Associate does so on a rotating basis based on individual schedules.
- Some services may include preparatory work with the pastor, with a guest minister, or with lay members of the congregation for a lay-led service.
~ October 5, 2009