Principles: The safety and well-being of the members and staff of the Heritage community are of first importance.
The building may be closed at any time if it is determined remaining open would be hazardous to the inhabitants. This could include, but is not restricted to, a building utility issue (such as a gas leak), weather or hazardous situation. One of the following should be contacted as standard procedure to make the decision in situations other than those described below are:
Board President, Board Vice-President, Board Past President, Minister, Assistant Minister, staff person in charge of Religious Education
• Generally, Sunday services will not be cancelled due to bad weather or due to cancellation by the scheduled speaker or service leader. An informal, lay-led service will be substituted. The President of the Board and the Chair of the Worship committee will make this determination and arrange for someone to lead this replacement service. The Worship Committee should arrange a stock of materials appropriate for this kind of service, to be stored in conjunction with copies of past sermons.
• If there is a government restriction against driving on the roads (a Level 3 emergency or above), or if no one is available to conduct the service, services will be cancelled.
• Church members will be notified of this decision via the website, email to the HUUC Announcements, and by a message recorded on the main church phone. These activities will be initiated and organized by the Board President.
• Children’s R.E. classes are always subject to the availability of a sufficient number of qualified adults to lead them. When there are not enough teachers for a specific class that class will remain in the sanctuary throughout the service. This will be announced early in the service.
• We respect the right of service leaders, speakers, and teachers to use their judgment before setting out for church when the weather is bad. As soon as a teacher has decided that they will not be attending church, they are expected to contact their R.E. liaison.
• These principles and expectations will be shared with the Heritage community, particularly the R.E. teachers, on a regular basis. They will be included as part of teacher orientation each teaching module, with particular emphasis during the winter season.
• Exclusive of Sunday mornings, any time there is a Level 2 or above snow emergency declared by Hamilton County, the church will be officially closed.
~ Approved by the Board of Trustees, December 8, 2014.
~ Revised and approved by the Board of Trustees, March 9, 2015.