Winter into spring is a fruitful time for most religious educators. Often our religious education programs have begun and while they require support, thoughts are moving toward the NEXT BIG THING.
At Heritage, the “next big thing” is our summer programming. Watch for more information coming soon. If you are making summer plans for yourself or your family, now is the time to consider attending a camp or conference that will honor your identity as a Unitarian Universalist and strengthen your faith while you are making wonderful new friends and generally having an awesome time.
Experiences at summer camps can include week(s) long age-based camps, institutes and camps for all ages, family retreats and specific training programs. When attending these camps and institutes, UU’s from all over our region (and beyond) experience the living of our UU values in communities outside the walls of our congregations, strengthening their ties and commitment to Unitarian Universalism. Here are some opportunities within driving distance from Cincinnati.
- SUUSI — the Southeast Unitarian Universalist Summer Institute; July 19-25; Western Carolina University in North Carolina.
- MUUSA — the Midwest Unitarian Universalist Summer Assembly; June 28 – July 4; YMCA of the Ozarks near Potosi, Missouri.
- CERSI — Central East Region Summer Institute; July 12-18; California, PA.
Additional opportunities for high school youth and young adults abound. (Note that many of these programs have registration deadlines in March and April.)
- River Rising Summer Youth Immersion — July 5-11; UU Church of the North Hills, Pittsburgh and July 27 – Aug 2; Main Line UU Church, Philadelphia
- Youth Midwest Leadership School — July 12-18; Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington IL
- GROW Racial Justice (UU College of Social Justice) June 17-20; New Orleans, Louisiana (for young adults)
- Activate West Virginia (UU College of Social Justice) June 20-27; UU Church of the South Hills
If that isn’t enough, other UU summer camps are located in the Adirondacks of upstate New York (Camp Unirondack), on the Jersey Shore (Murray Grove), the coast of Maine (Ferry Beach), in the mountains of North Carolina (The Mountain) and on an island off the coast of New Hampshire (Star Island).
Summer is a great time to be a UU. Won’t you join us?