The Music Committee is dedicated to building and supporting a music program that is diverse and inclusive in style, theme, and experience level, and that enhances both the worship experience and the community ministry of Heritage Universalist Unitarian Church.
Composition and selection of members
The Music Committee does not have a set number of members, but ideally will include a chairperson plus 4-7 members committed to various portfolios. HUUC’s traditional music activities, such as choir, should be represented, but membership ideally will also include instrumentalists, non-choir singers, and other members of the congregation interested in the well-being of the music program. Volunteers are welcome, and there are no term limits.
Music Committee responsibilities include:
- Supporting the music director and serving as liaison between the music director and other church committees and the board of trustees.
- Developing and maintaining a roster of “on call” musicians to serve on non-choir Sundays or in supplemental roles.
- Ensuring that the physical facilities for the music program are maintained, including the instruments and the choir area in the sanctuary.
- Overseeing the care and maintenance of the music library.
- Developing and coordinating opportunities for musical outreach both within the church and in the broader community.
- Leading fundraising activities to benefit the music program.
Specific portfolios will vary from year to year, as the committee will not only sustain regular, recurring activities but may also support particular initiatives or pursue particular opportunities.
~ January 9, 2012