Why is Heritage using the Soul Matters program for our Religious Exploration Program? Our main goal is to connect children with their parents by engaging the whole family with the same monthly theme. Each Sunday all of our age groups will have similar lesson plans and all of them will explore the same theme throughout each month. In addition, each family can receive a copy of Soulful Home, a newsletter that will help them explore the monthly theme with their children, offering suggestions for engaging the theme at home throughout the month.
Our Session Plans
Each Sunday class session begins with a circle time to start, a story, then activities which explore the theme. There is a different session for each week of the month. These session plans are structured to include:
- A Time of Centering and Explaining the Theme: Wonder box or Circle Reflection Time script and story suggestion(s)
- Experiential Activities: Tons of Songs, Videos, Role Play, Games, Crafts, Puppets and other activities relating to the theme.
- Meditation Practice: Meditations connected to the theme.
Additionally, the activities address “the three S’s” of 21st Century Faith Formation building blocks –
- Silence (meditation/mindfulness)
- Sunshine (experiences in nature and movement)
- Service (opportunities to help others)
To ensure that class activities are relevant and engaging for different ages, HUUC will have three age groups meeting on Sunday.
Sparks!— Preschool and Kindergarten
Flames! — Grades 1 – 6
Ignite! — Grades 7 – 12 (meets twice each month)
We still need teachers for all of our classes! Email Rev. Leslie today at: