The Care Committee strengthens the HUUC community by offering compassionate support, helping hands, and celebratory acts depending on individual needs.
The HUUC Care Committee will provide immediate, sensitive responses and services to any congregant or regular attendee experiencing a life crisis or milestone event. Committee members will give visible credence to the HUUC value that love is the spirit of this church.
In order for the Care Committee to manage its responsibilities effectively, a minimum of five volunteers is needed. These volunteers may be HUUC members or regular attendees. The HUUC Ministers are ad hoc members as is the Board liaison. Suggestions for new members will be reviewed, in a shared meeting, by the Ministers, Care Committee Chairperson and Co-Chairperson. New members will be provided an orientation by the Chairperson who will provide copies of the Committee Charter and Committee Portfolio. The Chairperson will stress the importance of maintaining confidentiality, regular/involved participation and the need for an on-going commitment.
There are no term limits for members except that the Chairperson serves two consecutive years. During that term, the Co-Chair is groomed to assume the Chairperson position. There is no term limit on compassion, consequently there is no limit on Care Committee membership.
Periodically, the Care Committee surveys the congregants regarding their willingness to support the Care Committee with various tasks (see below). Committee members assume primary responsibilities which include, but are not limited to:
- recording the Candles of Community each Sunday
- sending greeting cards for significant events in the lives of congregants
- facilitating funeral support, including ushering and receptions
- arranging hospital/nursing home/home visits
- coordinating meal prep and delivery to those in need
- sending flowers as appropriate
- securing volunteers to assist less abled/ill with household or yard needs
- arranging transportation to medical appointments/other
- connecting with all congregants and regular attendees regularly by phone, email or in person
- other as requested by Ministers or agreed upon by majority of Committee members
Twice a year the Care Committee Chairperson or designee submits a completed “Committee Update to the Board of Trustees”. This is due on dates identified by the Board. In January, the Chairperson submits a year-to-date expense report and a budget request for the coming fiscal year. The Chairperson also prepares for the HUUC Office Manager a summary of the Committee’s activities since July of the prior year. This is for the HHUC Annual Report. There are two Council meetings annually, attended by the Chairperson or designee..
~ Revised and approved by the Care Committee September 14, 2014