Winter into spring is a fruitful time for most religious educators. Typically, our religious education programs have begun and while they require support, thoughts are moving toward the NEXT BIG THING.
At Heritage the “next big thing” is our summer programming. Watch for more information coming soon. If you are making summer plans for yourself or your family, now is the time to consider attending a camp or conference that will honor your identity as a Unitarian Universalist and strengthen your faith while you are making wonderful new friends and generally having an awesome time.
Experiences at summer camps can include week(s) long age-based camps, institutes and camps for all ages, family retreats and specific training programs. When attending these camps and institutes, UUs from all over our region (and beyond) experience the living of our UU values in communities outside the walls of our congregations, strengthening their ties and commitment to Unitarian Universalism. Here are some opportunities within driving distance from Cincinnati.
- SUUSI — the Southeast Unitarian Universalist Summer Institute; July 15-21; Western Carolina University in North Carolina.
- MUUSA — the Midwest Unitarian Universalist Summer Assembly; July 1-7; YMCA of the Ozarks near Potosi, Missouri.
- OMDSI — Ohio-Meadville Summer Institute; July 8-14; Oberlin College, Ohio.
Additional opportunities for high school youth and young adults abound.
- Great Lakes Goldmine Youth Leadership School — July 1-7; East Shore UU Church, Kirtland Ohio.
- Youth Midwest Leadership School — July 15-21; Luther College, Decorah, Iowa.
- Activate New Orleans: Racial Justice (UU College of Social Justice) July 15-22; New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Activate Tucson: Immigration Justice (UU College of Social Justice) August 5-12; Tucson, Arizona.
If that isn’t enough, other UU summer camps are located in the Adirondacks of upstate New York (Camp Unirondack), on the Jersey Shore (Murray Grove), the coast of Maine (Ferry Beach) (ask Rev. Leslie about this one!), in the mountains of North Carolina (The Mountain) and on an island off the coast of New Hampshire (Star Island).
Summer is a great time to be a UU. Won’t you join us?