We have decided to streamline our recycling efforts to serve where our community can make a difference. We will no longer collect CFLs (compact fluorescent lights). They may be taken to either Lowe’s or Home Depot. (I think Home Depot is easier as they have a bin in the vestibule just to the right of the door.) We will no longer collect ink cartridges. Staples will take them and give credit.
But Mathew 25 Ministries offers a unique opportunity to REUSE or recycle pill bottles. The following is from their website.
Acceptable collection items include:
- Prescription and over-the-counter pill bottles
- Large and small pill bottles
- Pill Bottles with and without secure caps (child resistant)
Pill bottles that are not appropriate to include with shipments of medical supplies are recycled for cash that goes towards Matthew 25: Ministries’ programs.
If you wish to prepare bottles for shipment rather than recycling, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Bottles included in shipments of medical supplies must have an all-plastic lid.
- Sort bottles by color and type.
- Remove labels, leaving no glue or residue.
- Wash bottles in very hot water and dish soap.
- Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Replace lids on clean, dried bottles.
- Place clean, recapped bottles in large ziplock bags marked “Clean Bottles.” These will be blended with medical supplies.
If any of you wish to prepare bottles for reuse and bag them, I will gladly keep them separate from the recycle bottles. I find some labels come off easily. These are the ones I prepare to be reused. These changes in our program should be good for the earth and good for people in need. Thank you all!